Saturday 30 April 2011

Find final angular velocity of swinging meter stick

Find final angular velocity of swinging meter stick: "
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A meter stick is suspended vertically at a pivot point 25 cm from the top end. It is rotated on the pivot until it is horizontal and then released from rest. What will be its maximum angular velocity (in radians/second)?





2. Relevant equations

I began by setting up a conservation of energy formula since the earth-stick system is not influenced by any nonconservative forces.

Ugrav(i) = Krot(f)

Mgh = (1/2)Iw2





3. The attempt at a solution

When I try solving for w2 I become confused on what to use for h and for I on either side.



I'm thinking that h should be the vertical distance between the center mass at its initial and final points, which would be h = 1m - .25m = .75m



and for I: I = (1/3)ML2 where L is supposed to be the length of the rigid object; however, I do see that the pivot point is not at the end, so I do not know how to adjust this accordingly.
"


Source : Google Reader

No comments: