Wednesday 12 October 2011

Old Cameras. New Cameras. Old Pictures. New Pictures.

Old Cameras. New Cameras. Old Pictures. New Pictures.:


Belinda and I were talking about the emotional differences between film and digital workflows as we sat in the shade of a skinny tree, on the little bluff overlooking the starting line for Ben's cross country race in Cedar Park. It was 10:15 in the morning and the sun was already warming everything up. It's not as far fetched a conversation as you might imagine since my wife is a very competent graphic artist and was one of the first designers in Austin to buy a Mac, along with an early, early rev of Pagemaker (page design software) and start doing electronic print production back in 1985....


She's been figuring out the quirks and treasures of computer since long before many of her competitors were born. And, interestingly enough, in early times there were no websites to consult. No Lynda.com for training wheels and no online support for the relentless software and hardware conflicts. Fast peripherals were SCSI, etc. I remember that her Mac SE30 had four megabytes of RAM and a 30 megabyte hard drive. It was pioneer days.


I was trying to work through my guilt at re-embracing medium format film and since she's the smartest person I know (makes me look like I'm playing chess with only pawns....) I was bouncing my quandary off her. Spending money on consumables in a down economy. Trying to re-invigorate old tech instead of moving ahead....


Young people who were raised on digital can deal emotionally with: How ephemeral digital files can be. How hard old files can be to find. The reality that the work you did on a digital camera five or eight or twelve years ago can look and feel primitive compared to the model you are working with today. And, finally, the ease of slamming stuff out and the lack of financial skin the game with each shot seems to relentlessly devalue photography. You can see that in falling prices and the wholesale commodification of the industry.


By comparison, film has a permanence that's undeniable. No need to migrate and migrate and migrate your work in order to preserve it. A good filing cabinet and well ordered folders are all it takes to be able to access your work in minutes. And if film decays during your lifetime it will do so gracefully. Finally, the images we shot on black and white film in the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's still look as technically perfect as they always did. They are still, for all intents and purposes at least the equal of most modern digital cameras (excluding the highest res medium format machines).


Now none of this will matter to a generation that never savored the magic of film and the peace of mind that comes from knowing that it's safe and sound and insoluble in the filing cabinet. That, if a scanned file becomes corrupted at worst it means a trip back to the filing cabinet and back to the scanner...And I know the IT people who entered this field WHEN it became digital will have all sorts of counter rationalizations. Be forewarned, I'm not a zealot looking for converts I'm frankly explaining my gut level dissatisfactions.....


Subconsciously, when I shoot digital cameras all the limitation of storage and retrieval, the need for computers and hard drives, the ambiguity of whether what I shoot today will be acceptable in ten or fifteen years (technically) all conspire to make me shoot with a ton of baggage heaped on my rational shoulders.


Belinda said it like this: "I learned how to work in Premiere and a bunch of different programs to make websites and other web based advertising but the realization that no two screens share an objective point of view, that type invariably looks different on different browsers and different operating systems take away the purity of my design. The uncertainty of presentation ruins my enjoyment of design. I'm dedicated to being a print designer for as long as there is print. I'll do websites and what-not but I don't have the passion for that medium which I do for print. I can hold a print piece in my hand and share it. But I can't send out a website or an e-mail ad and know that it will look the way I intended it to on someone's phone, a non-Apple pad, a poorly calibrated or uncalibrated monitor or on someone's 6 bit laptop screen and that bothers the artist in me."


By the same token, as I've said before, the intention for most film projects was to hit paper as a final destination. That paper could have been a luscious sheet of double weight, fiber paper with a luxurious surface and an endless mix of subtle tones and colors or a post card or an annual report, but when it hit paper it had an objectivity that can't be matched and a permanence that seems emotionally and practically unavailable on the web. When you add the hundreds of ways it can be compressed, re-profiled, re-sized and generally fucked up you cease to have the same pride of ownership and presentation and you quickly find that intended presentation on the web IS the thing that lowers all of your images to their lowest common denominator. It's like making a beautiful prints and the putting it under four or five layers of imperfect plastic and then looking at the melange through tinted sunglasses in a badly lit bathroom......


If you haven't practice technique at the highest levels you can:: Locked down on a tripod. Well lit and exposed. With medium format film or an extremely high res sensor. And then printed it out or had it printed out as large (20x20 inches and larger) premium quality prints you really can't imagine the difference in seeing images in print versus seeing them on even the best monitors.


So, what do we do? We can slow down, improve our techniques and aim for big print presentations. Film or digital origins don't matter. But until we work for objective metrics of perfection it's all just a crap shoot.


For me? Portraits and art for me come in squares. Whether shot with a Pen or an Hblad on film the out put is the measure of success. I'll shoot film when I shoot portraits for myself. I'll shoot digital for things that go to the internet and I'm sure it will all cross over from time to time but......all these things are ideas we should examine. At least when I pull a negative from 1979 it still has all of it's technical promise intact and can be scanned to breathtaking sizes, with high sharpness and quality. I can't say that about a file from a Nikon D1 from just ten years ago.......


In the end I haven't solved any of the issues. I've probably confused myself even more but the first step to resolving this kind of discord is the understanding that it exists.
©2010 Kirk Tuck. Please do not re-post without attribution. Please use the Amazon Links on the site to help me finance this site.








Source : Google Reader

No comments: