Wednesday 4 May 2011

Connecting XP Pro Netbook to Win 7 Desktop

Connecting XP Pro Netbook to Win 7 Desktop: "
Currently I have a Win 7 Desktop and Win 7 Laptop working on a Homegroup with no problem. Easy to setup and easy to maintain.



I also have a Win XP Pro Netbook, which I cannot upgrade to Win 7 as I have only 2 licences for Win 7. I wish to use the XP Netbook on the same network. I know I cannot use Homegroup for XP and I also know the obvious solution is to use the Workgroup solution for all three computers. Before I go down that road I want to explore any other possible solutions. One I have come across is Remote Desktop, which I have never used before. Thus far I have enabled Remote Desktop on my Win 7 Desktop (which is my primary PC) and enabled connections from PCs using any version of Remote Desktop. Permissions on Windows Firewall also seem to be ok. The problem is when I try to log in from my XP Pro Netbook I successfully get to the login screen on Win 7, it does not recognise either the User Name or Password.



Questions



Is the unrecognised User Name/Password login the one I use on my Win 7 or do I need to setup another account to represent my Netbook? I have tried this, but the Win 7 PC cannot find that account, presumably because it is not on the network?



2. Does Remote Desktop only work on a LAN, whereas I am tring to use it on my home wireless network?



3. Are there any other workarounds or is the Workgroup the only other solution?



Many thanks



Gareth
"


Source : Google Reader

No comments: