Wednesday 28 December 2011

The Christmas List for Photographers.

The Christmas List for Photographers.:
Trust me on this. If you don't drop plentiful hints to your loved ones you're probably not going to get ANY fun gifts that are remotely related to the fascinating pursuit of photography. You might get a "Day in the Life of Rural Akron" which may be a fascinating coffee table book but it won't hold a candle to getting the stuff that you really want for your holiday haul. (Yes, yes, I know. We should only care about the spirit of the season. You go over and stand by the punch...).



With this in mind I've put together a listing of all the coolest stuff that I would want to receive while celebrating, Christmas, Festivus, Hanukkah or the Worship of the Elm Bark. You should be able to forward this list to your co-conspirator in life and have a fighting chance of getting something that doesn't need to be returned for....another size. Of course, if you are relatively affluent, and as good at rationalizing impulse purchases as I am you could take the shorter and surer route and just click through the link to the toy you really want and make it yours.



These are all linked to products on Amazon.com because, frankly, I'd love for you to find what you want there and in turn help to finance my compulsive writing behavior with the small percentage of each purchase that Amazon would send back to me. As always, the cost to you is nothing and the result for me is a smiling contenance and, perhaps, a new pair of shoes for my child. You are never obligated to make any purchase or pay any subscription to read the VSL blog so please don't get in my face for one small, highly commercial post.



Let's go.



First off, books. I'll start with mine. The first book, Minimalist Lighting, Professional Techniques for Lighting on Location is not being revised. Buy this first edition and you may have a collectible. My publisher asked me to revise but, I just couldn't change a thing. The Studio book is fun, the Commercial book is a great gift for anyone who might be thinking of doing photography as a business. The lighting book is for nerds like me who like to know what's out there and, the LED book is an exercise in delayed gratification (it doesn't come out till March...).















And then there are the books I couldn't conceive of doing without. (But please, if you don't understand or like Richard Avedon please don't put that into a comment or I'll have to delete the comment. I don't want to be responsible for your bad, art historical, karma.












And then there are the cameras:


cameras


























It's just a preliminary list because I haven't fleshed it out with LED panels and stuff like that but I figured this was enough to get started on.
©2010 Kirk Tuck. Please do not re-post without attribution. Please use the Amazon Links on the site to help me finance this site.







Source : Google Reader

No comments: