Wednesday 28 December 2011

Veiling glare or atmospheric haze or low contrast?

Veiling glare or atmospheric haze or low contrast?:
















Reader, Nick, commented about the "veiling glare" issue in some older lenses. And that may well have been his experience with some optics. I went back to the images I shot for the previous article on the Olympus 150mm lens and tweaked each image with the black slider and the contrast slider in Lightroom 3.6. Kind of like matching negatives to paper contrast grades in the old days of printing black and white in a darkroom. I think that what Nick saw in the train shot is a a lot of dust and atmospheric haze (and some bad technique since I hardly nailed focus on the front of the train). In the other images I think what he saw IS a combination of the lower contrast of the older lenses combined with some atmospheric haze. They clean up okay when you through some post processing on them and we could probably do quite a bit more in curves, etc. Just thought I'd throw this up to show a post processed version...... commentary welcome.
©2010 Kirk Tuck. Please do not re-post without attribution. Please use the Amazon Links on the site to help me finance this site.







Source : Google Reader

No comments: