Thursday 19 January 2012

Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell

Winter’s Bone by Daniel Woodrell:


Rees Dolly comes from a life of pure poverty. At age 17 she struggles to take care pf herself, her two brothers, and her sickly mother. Her father, a meth addict is constantly out of the picture and dealing with the law. When Rees learns that her father has skipped out on bail AND that he had used the family home for his bond, she embarks out on her own to find him and bring him to his court date to save the family from becoming homeless.


Her journey is not one of ease as the terrain of the Ozarks is rough and the relatives she meets along the way just as unpredictable as the land.



I read many thoughts on Winter’s Bone in the last couple of years. It was always in the back burner of my mind that this would some day be a book I would like to try.


When I recently found it on audible.com I was thrilled that I could try it on audio. My results from this listen are not as raving as other reviews I have read.


First, let me say – it may have been the fact that I listened to it on audio. As much as I LOVE audio, occasionally I find one that may have worked better in book format for me. I think this may be one of those times.


I found myself lost in the Ozarks much of the book. I had trouble following the different routes that Rees was taking along the way, the people she met, and ultimately her discovery.


Honestly…. I think it was me.


I will watch the movie now that I have experienced the audio. I still think this has a lot of potential and I don’t think I connected well, but feel I missed something early on that left me baffled the rest of the time. A wonderful review of this book can be found at Linus’ Blanket. This is one of the reviews I had read that made me want to read this as well.



Fun Fact: Just as I was getting ready to post this review I took a second look at the actress who plays Rees in the movie. After a fast search on Google, I discovered that the actresses name is Jennifer Lawrence, and as per my suspicions… she is also the actress who is playing Katniss in the Hunger Games movie.


I purchased this audio from audible.com





Source : Google Reader

No comments: