Wednesday 15 June 2011

DP67BG and PCI

DP67BG and PCI: "

I recently bought a DP67BG motherboard (B3) and was not able to make a PCI sound card work (Sound Blaster Audigy SE). The card was working on another machine.

The behaviour is the same in both Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu 11.04: the card is recognized, drivers are installed without issues, but there is no sound. Also, some software freeze - but does not crash - when trying to play sound (such as XP Control Panel applet and Ubuntu Banshee media player). Analog recording, however, is perfect. The symptoms are the same regardless of the hardware configuration: I've tried to put the sound card in both PCI slots, disabled everything onboard and even tried WinXP without the video card.

I have tried also an older sound card (SB Live), on WinXP with default drivers: it plays sound, but recording does not work.

So far, the only PCI card I managed to work was a 1394 adapter (VIA chip).

I have read elsewhere that P67 motherboards may have PCI issues as this chipset does not support PCI natively. Also, I've checked that there have been BIOS updates for other motherboards, both from Intel (DP67BA) and from other manufacturers, that deal with PCI incompatibilities. However, for DP67BG there is no such update until now.

I'd like to know if my motherboard may be defective, and if there are any incompatibilities with PCI bus that may be addressed by Intel in the near future.

My configuration:

DP67BG

Core i5 2500K

2 GB Kingston LoVo memory

EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti

Seventeam ST-550P-AM

"

No comments: