Sunday 14 August 2011

Going backwards. Or, the epiphany I had while out for a walk in the blazing heat. Or, how to rationalize buying a new Hasselblad…

Going backwards. Or, the epiphany I had while out for a walk in the blazing heat. Or, how to rationalize buying a new Hasselblad…: "
This is one of the very first medium format images I ever shot.


It was shot with a Yashica Mat 124G which was the desirable cheapy MF camera of the 1970's. I shot this in late 1987 at my place on Longview, near the UT campus. It was done on Kodak Panatomic X film (ISO 32) using a Novatron 150 watt second pack with one head aimed thru a shoot thru umbrella. I only owned one head at the time so that's how I shot it. (Was Zack Arias even born back then???).


I hand developed the film at the Ark Cooperative darkroom and eventually printed it on Ilford Ilfobrom double weight paper. This was before the Bass brothers tried to corner the silver market so a box of 8x10 double weight fiber paper, 100 sheets was about $6.95. I scrimped and saved to buy it. Texas was a poor state back then and my finances were precarious. I was so in love with Belinda that any photograph I took seemed incredible to me then. We dated for five years, spent lots of time enjoying Austin and places like the Armadillo World Headquarters (saw the Talking Heads open their for Devo one night.....) and eventually decided to get married. But that's a whole other story. This photo represents our first year together. She abandoned teaching for studio arts and I abandoned electrical engineering to be a writer.....
Read more »
©2010 Kirk Tuck. Please do not re-post without attribution.





"


Source : Google Reader

No comments: