Sunday 14 August 2011

Portrait Professional. A user report. From the frigid wastelands of my studio cave…

Portrait Professional. A user report. From the frigid wastelands of my studio cave…: "


You've probably guessed that it's extremely rare for me to talk about software on this blog. It's not because I don't use software in my photography business but I always considered myself a "purist", unsullied by the "phony" effects of HDR software or any of the other canned effects that I see all over the web. Yep. I always considered myself a basic PhotoShop warrior with the credo that, "if it couldn't be done in PhotoShop you really shouldn't be doing it....



But lately I've wavered. My friend at atmtx keeps doing HDR stuff that I actually like. You can see it here: the guy that does good, mostly subtle HDR. We had lunch yesterday and I'm kinda blown away that he doesn't even use PhotoShop but does his magic with a combination of Apple's Aperture and Photomatix.



So, I was sitting in front of my computer one day, contemplating a virtual stack of portraits that I needed to retouch/enhance and dreading the time consuming method I'd come to after years of just hacking away with clone tools and various adaptations of layers and gaussian blur when I came across an ad for a piece of software called, Portrait Professional. And it was aimed at exactly what I was working on. I mean exactly what I was working on. I downloaded a trial and twenty minutes later I was back to download the full deal, credit card sizzling hot in my hand.

Read more »
©2010 Kirk Tuck. Please do not re-post without attribution.





"


Source : Google Reader

No comments: